CAIR, the Council on American Islamic Relations,
The nation’s largest civil rights and advocacy organization for Muslims seeks a high energy, assertive individual to manage and oversee CAIR’s Civil Rights Department in the position of Civil Rights Manager.
This full-time position involves:
* Managing and overseeing of civil rights support staff, including staff attorneys, coordinators, intake officers and interns.
* Handling of civil rights cases, which includes client counseling, mediation, arbitration and litigation.
* Maintaining consistent communication with alleged victims of discrimination and entities suspected of discriminatory action.
* Maintaining database of civil rights complaints.
* Tabulating data for CAIR’s annual civil rights report.
* Training new civil rights employees and support staff both at the national office and chapters.
* Serving as potential liaison with media outlets.
* Potential involvement in alternative dispute resolution (mediation/arbitration).
* Assisting the legal counsel with general corporate functions.
* Serving as an advisor to the legislative department on public policy issues.
* Management of outside counsel, as required.
* Other tasks as assigned related to running a non-profit organization.
Law degree from ABA accredited law school required. A Minimum of 2 years experience in a managerial or supervisory position, and 1-2 years experience in the area of civil rights. Experience in employment/labor law highly recommended as well. Licensed to practice law in District of Columbia, Virginia or Maryland a plus. Good interpersonal, communication skills and a team player.
* Knowledge of federal and state laws, with the ability to address multiple areas of law.
* Experience advocating for individuals who have faced discrimination.
* Highly organized and able to manage multiple competing tasks and demands.
* Ability to draft and maintain correspondence records with entities involved in discrimination;
* Familiarity with Westlaw and other legal search engines to conduct case related research;
* Effective writing and communication skills, the ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues, and sound judgment are of utmost importance.
* Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with high degree of responsibility and dedication.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evening and weekend, and willing to travel.
All CAIR staff, whether permanent or temporary, are required to assist in general duties such as answering of phones, assisting with office management and cleanup, assisting with special projects such as conferences, conventions, mass mailing, and other CAIR events. CAIR employees may be asked to participate in events outside of normal business hours as instructed by CAIR Management.
People reporting to this position: civil rights support taff
Reporting to: National Executive Director
Salary Range: Based on education, skills and experience
CAIR offers excellent retirement, health and dental benefit packages for its full-time employees.
All those interested and eligible to work in US (Citizens or proper work visa holders) are encouraged to apply in confidence by sending your resume, cover letter and the contact information of three references via email to: email@example.com, or by fax to 202-488-0833. When applying via email, please add “Civil Rights Manager” in the subject of the email.