How To File A Charge Of Discrimination If You Are A Muslim

Posted on May 5, 2007


Source: EEOC

Anyone who believes that s/he has been subjected to discrimination in violation of Title VII may file a charge with the nearest field office of the EEOC. Persons who file a charge, oppose unlawful employment discrimination, participate in employment discrimination proceedings, or otherwise assert their rights under the laws enforced by the Commission are protected against retaliation. An EEOC charge must be filed within 180 days or 300 days if the state has a fair employment practices agency of the date of the disputed conduct. When charges or complaints are filed too late, you may not be able to obtain any remedy. Charges may be filed in person, by mail or by telephone by contacting the nearest EEOC office. Field offices are located throughout the United States. Or you may call our National Contact Office at 1- 800-669-4000 (TTY 1-800-669-6820). To avoid delay, call or write beforehand if you need special assistance, such as an interpreter, to file a charge.

The Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel for Immigration Related Unfair Employment Practices enforces the prohibition on national origin discrimination as it relates to hiring and discharge against employers with four to fourteen employees. If your employer has between four and fourteen employees and you feel you have been subjected to discrimination based on your national origin, contact the Office of Special Counsel at 1-800-255-7688.

For more information on discrimination against Muslims, Arabs, South Asians and Sikhs in the aftermath of September 11, 2001, please contact DOJ’s Initiative to Combat Post-9/11 Backlash.